Friday, April 20, 2012

EB1501P: Fix reboot on shutdown issue!

My EB1501P (with BluRay drive) had a problem with shutdown, hibernate and sleep. Whenever I tried shutdown it would reboot. When I tried to hibernate or sleep it would just return to my desktop straight away. I had updated to the latest BIOS (0401). That didn't solve my issues. I tried all kinds of OS, nothing worked.
I then read on some forum that you could reset the CMOS by unplugging the power connector and then press and hold the power button for ~1minute and it would be reset. That did not work for me.
So I decided to open up the EB1501P and unplug the battery. This worked for me and solved my issues. Now shutdown, sleep and hibernate works like it should.

Here is a quick guide on how I did it:

1) Start by watching this youtube clip on how to open the EB1501P, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf0fIPoV7R4

2) Once you have the case opened:
Remove the two screws marked in red.
Then carefully slide the harddrive out from the connector.




3) Once the harddrive is removed you can start removing the screws marked in red in the image below. Note that I have removed several others but you don't have to do that.




4) Once you have removed the screws carefully lift the motherboard out of the case.
Flip the motherboard and you should see your DVD7BluRay drive.
Remove the screws marked in red.
Carefully slide the DVD/BluRay drive out from its connector.




5) After you have removed your DVD/BluRay drive you should see the CMOS battery.
Unplug the cable to the battery at the connector marked in red. I used a flat head screwdriver to do this. Be careful!


6) Leave the connector unplugged for 5 minutes and then put everything back together again.
Start up your system and try and see if this has solved your problem. It did for me!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your guide! I just upgraded my eb1501 ' s ram and the little bastard just stopped working! I followed your path for the bios reset and it started working again! I was starting to get worried about wasting 70 euros for the ram!

    ReplyDelete